This soup is all you want it to be; it’s savory with a hint of sweetness, with a punch of flavor from all of the herb and spice ingredients. Plus, this broth pairs well with numerous toppings so you can really switch it up every time you make it! It will definitely satisfy your Thai food cravings.
Thai Coconut Curry Soup With Spicy Sesame [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Thai Coconut Curry Soup With Spicy Sesame [Vegan]
To Make the Soup:
- 1 block of firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 lemongrass stalk or 1 tablespoon of lemongrass paste, minced
- 2-3 star anise
- 1 bunch of ramen noodles (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 red pepper
To Make the Tofu Marinade:
- Thai basil leaves
- Chili oil
- Sesame seeds
- Lime juice
How to Prepare Thai Coconut Curry Soup With Spicy Sesame [Vegan]
- Start by marinating your tofu, mix all the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish and mix your cubed tofu, mixing it carefully so it becomes evenly coated but does not crumble.
- Make your broth by combining stock, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste, ground cardamom, and star anise in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to low heat and let cook for 30 minutes, covered. Once the 30 minutes has elapsed, turn off the heat until the rest of your ingredients are ready. In the meantime, start boiling a second pot of water for the noodles.
- In the last 10 minutes of your broth, heat a small non-stick pan on medium heat. Once hot, add some water (about 2 tablespoons), and add your tofu cubes with the marinade.
- Fry your tofu cubes a few minutes per side, make sure you cook all of the sides of the tofu. Once that all the sides are done, turn off the heat of your pan.
- Once your tofu is all cooked, remove the star anise from the broth (and cardamom pods, if using) and add in your coconut milk and red pepper and let cook for a few minutes, until your noodles are ready to serve.
- Cook your noodles as per package instructions. Drain and rinse well.
- Plate your bowls by placing your noodles on the bottom, add in your broth and top with fresh thai basil leaves, cilantro and other desired toppings!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Coconut Curry
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving (before toppings): Calories: 277 | Carbs: 16 g | Fat: 20 g | Protein: 10 g | Sodium: 55 mg | Sugar: 6 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.