The teriyaki can be made either “beef” or “chicken” and you could add onions or peppers if that floats your boat. These boats make the perfect lunch or dinner for two and you can use the leftover pineapple to make some fruity cocktails to go with this meal! YUM.
Teriyaki Pineapple Bowls [Vegan]
- 1 pineapple
- 1 package meatless beef or chicken strips or homemade seitan strips
- White jasmine rice for serving
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Juice of half an orange
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- In a bowl mix together soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin, orange juice, sugar, and minced garlic. Add to a small sauce pan over medium-low heat and reduce by half.
- In a different skillet, sauté 'meat' strips for 5-7 minutes until lightly browned. Pour over sauce and cook for 5 minutes to let the sauce thicken on the 'meat.'
- While your 'meat' cooks cut your pineapple in half and scoop out the center leaving about a inch around the perimeter. Save the insides for another use!
- Fill your pineapple boats with rice on one side and teriyaki “beef” on the other. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, garnish with cilantro or green onions, and serve immediately.