Tempeh Reuben Sandwiches are the best! They're the perfect lunch to keep you full and happy for the rest of the day!! You have to try this recipe!
Tempeh Reuben Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 onion, julienned
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 4 slices rye bread or your favorite gluten-free bread(the fresher the better)
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pickle, minced
- First, cut your tempeh into 1/2 inch by 2-inch slices. Mix together tamari, balsamic, Worcestershire and olive oil along with the first listing of caraway seed and garlic powder. Marinade the tempeh in the mixture for at least two hours. Meanwhile, mix together your sauce mixture so the flavors have time to come together.
- Next, it's time to get the sandwiches ready. First, take the tempeh out of the marinade, begin to cook your tempeh over medium heat. Set the marinade aside. Cook the tempeh for 4-5 minutes on each side. Once it's done, toss it back in the marinade for a little extra flavoring. Set them aside or keep them warmed in your oven at 170º until you're ready to assemble your sandwiches.
- Next, saute the onion in a little oil. Once it is translucent and getting caramelized, add the carrot, zucchini, salt, pepper, and the second listing of caraway seed. Continue to saute them for another 3 minutes or until the veggies are al dense.
- Now, it's time to assemble your sandwiches. Spread the sauce mixture on one side of the bread. Top with a few slices of the tempeh, the veggie mixture, and finally the sauerkraut.
- In the same pan, that you've been cooking everything else in add a little more oil and let it heat up. Add the sandwich and grill on both sides for 3 minutes or until it is brown and crispy.