Inspired by the beauty and simplicity of Asian food, these Tempeh Maki rolls are simple and delicious! Nori and tempeh are both excellent sources of plant-based protein, which makes these a filling lunch or dinner choice that comes together quickly for a satisfying meal.
Tempeh Maki Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 cups sushi rice, cooked
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 carrot, julienne
- 1 daikon, julienne
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Wasabi paste or hot sauce
- Nori seaweed sheets
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 T water
- 2 t wasabi paste
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t freshly grated ginger
- Cut tempeh into ½” strips and steam for 15 minutes.
- Transfer tempeh to baking dish and arrange flat.
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over tempeh.
- Refrigerate overnight, or for as long as possible.
- Bake tempeh at 350 for 20 minutes turning once.
- Lay a nori sheet on sushi mat shiny side down and spread a thin even layer of rice on nori leaving 1 inch at far end.
- Place tempeh strips about 1/3 of the way down.
- Layer daikon and carrot, or any other filler of choice, a line of wasabi or hot sauce and toasted sesame seeds.
- Roll the nori around the filling squeezing tight to form the maki roll letting out the sushi mat a bit at a time on the topside until you have a perfect roll.
- Cut into 1/2 inch pieces and enjoy.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile