These tempeh burgers are a delicious meal, packed with zinc-rich ingredients. Follow this recipe to make your own whole-grain bread rolls, too!
Tempeh Burgers With Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups whole-grain flour
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 10 ounces tempeh
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (passata)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 9.8 ounce jar sun-dried tomatoes in oil (reserve oil)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- As desired: baby spinach, shredded carrot, red onion, or any other salad vegetables.
- Combine the warm water (not warmer than body temperature), sugar and yeast in a non-metallic bowl, leave to rest for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add the chia seeds, salt and flour, mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Knead with your hands for five minutes.
- Place the dough on the counter, covered with the upside down bowl, leave to rest for 2 hours.
- Knead again, divide into eight pieces.
- Place on a baking tray, brush with water and sprinkle with pepitas.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Cut the tempeh into eight equal pieces.
- Combine the tomato puree and cayenne.
- Dip the tempeh pieces into the tomato mix.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle over a medium heat.
- Grill the tempeh for 7 minutes on one side, flip, grill for another 7 minutes.
- Blend the sundried tomatoes, oil from the jar*, parsley and garlic in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Cut open a bread roll.
- On one half, spoon on 1-2 tablespoons of pesto, add salad ingredients and tempeh.
- Top with the other bread roll half.
*If you don't have the oil from the sundried tomatoes, you can use 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves.