These tempeh burgers are a delicious meal, packed with zinc-rich ingredients. Follow this recipe to make your own whole-grain bread rolls, too!
Tempeh Burgers With Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tempeh Burgers With Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups whole-grain flour
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 10 ounces tempeh
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (passata)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 9.8 ounce jar sun-dried tomatoes in oil (reserve oil)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- As desired: baby spinach, shredded carrot, red onion, or any other salad vegetables.
How to Prepare Tempeh Burgers With Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto [Vegan]
- Combine the warm water (not warmer than body temperature), sugar and yeast in a non-metallic bowl, leave to rest for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add the chia seeds, salt and flour, mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Knead with your hands for five minutes.
- Place the dough on the counter, covered with the upside down bowl, leave to rest for 2 hours.
- Knead again, divide into eight pieces.
- Place on a baking tray, brush with water and sprinkle with pepitas.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Cut the tempeh into eight equal pieces.
- Combine the tomato puree and cayenne.
- Dip the tempeh pieces into the tomato mix.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle over a medium heat.
- Grill the tempeh for 7 minutes on one side, flip, grill for another 7 minutes.
- Blend the sundried tomatoes, oil from the jar*, parsley and garlic in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Cut open a bread roll.
- On one half, spoon on 1-2 tablespoons of pesto, add salad ingredients and tempeh.
- Top with the other bread roll half.
*If you don't have the oil from the sundried tomatoes, you can use 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.