Making a good tasting vegan casserole isn't always an easy task. For non-vegans this is much easier since loading a casserole up with bacon and cheese will make most like it. I, however, wanted to make a vegan casserole with healthy, clean eating ingredients and that my kids would love at the same time. I also added some tempeh to this casserole for a nutty, protein filled family dinner.
Tempeh and Pasta Casserole [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion (diced)
- 7 ounces tempeh (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (can use dried if needed)
- 6 medium tomatoes (roughly diced)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (optional)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 3 cups whole wheat shell pasta (cooked)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a stockpot. Add diced onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add tempeh, garlic, and rosemary. Sauté for about 3 minutes until tempeh is lightly browned and garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper into pot. Cover stockpot and cook for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 475 F.
- Prepare cashew cheese by pulsing cashews, ¼ teaspoon salt, and oregano in a food processor until it become thick and creamy. Set aside.
- Add almond or oat milk to tomatoes, bring to a quick boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes until mixture slightly thickens.
- Stir in cooked pasta shells and white wine vinegar to tomato-tempeh mixture.Pour into a large baking dish or casserole and sprinkle with crumbled cashew cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and bake on middle rack of oven for 5 minutes until bubbling and cashew cheese has browned.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
1) If you are gluten sensitive use gluten-free pasta and make sure the tempeh you are using is gluten-free as well. 2) This casserole can be made with other pasta shapes as well except for spaghetti and linguine.