Tamarind is used quite often in Indian cooking exactly for these properties, to give an acidic flavor to the dish. This recipe is delightfully tangy with some sugar thrown in to balance the tartness of this gorgeous fruit. It also forms a lovely union with the potatoes. This dish is a fine representation of not just how scrumptious vegan food is but also shows how many different ways you can cook potatoes.
Tamarind Potato Curry with Sesame Seeds [Vegan, Gluten Free]
For the Curry:
- 1 pound small potatoes, peeled
- Water to cook
Tamarind Curry Paste
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1" piece ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 5–6 tablespoon water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 8–10 curry leaves
- 10–12 cherry tomatoes
For the Tamarind Curry Paste:
- For the tamarind curry paste, in a large bowl, mix together the tamarind paste, tomato paste, ketchup, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, cumin, chili powder, chili flakes, sugar, water and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
For the Curry:
- In a pan, place the potatoes in enough water to just cover them. Simmer the potatoes on medium-low heat until they are cooked through but don’t fall apart, 10 to 15 minutes. If you insert a knife through the potatoes and it goes through with ease, the potatoes are cooked. Drain the water and let the potatoes cool. Once cool, cut in half.
- Heat the oil in a pan on high heat. Once hot, lower the heat to medium and add the asafetida, nigella and fenugreek seeds. Add the curry leaves after around 30 seconds.
- Add the tamarind curry mix as soon as the curry leaves begin to sputter. Cook while stirring for a minute or two and then add the potatoes.
- Stir to mix well and cook on low heat with the lid on. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Halfway through, add the cherry tomatoes.
- Garnish with some extra sesame seeds and serve hot with a lentil dish and plain white rice.
- Potato Curry