These homemade Twix bars made with tahini are a reader favorite for good reason. The shortbread cookie crust piled high with a date-based caramel and tahini is a killer combo, smothered in melted chocolate to top it all off. You can use another nut or seed butter; the flavor will be different, but still delicious and Twix-like. I store them in the freezer to pick at, not that they last very long!
Tahini Caramel Bars [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tahini Caramel Bars [Vegan]
For the Shortbread Cookie Crust:
- 1/2 cup (48 g) tigernut flour
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) avocado or melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup
For the Tahini Caramel Filling:
- 5 soaked dates
- 2 cups (475 ml) boiling water
- 1/4 cup (60 g) tahini or tigernut butter for an AIP substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (alcohol-free for AIP)
- Pinch sea salt
For the Topping:
- 1/3 cup (58 g) chopped dark chocolate (Paleo-friendly; 85% cacao and above recommended) (see AIP notes)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) coconut oil
- Flaky sea salt
How to Prepare Tahini Caramel Bars [Vegan]
For the Dates:
Soak the dates in boiling hot water for 20 to 30 minutes, until soft. Drain and discard the water when ready.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C, or gas mark 4). Line and lightly grease an 8-inch (20-cm) loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
To Make the Shortbread:
- Mix all the ingredients together until a smooth batter forms. Press it evenly into the lined loaf pan in a single layer. Bake it for 11 to 12 minutes, or until cooked. It may still be soft, which is okay. Carefully pop it into the freezer.
To make the Caramel Filling:
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Once the shortbread layer is cooled to handle, drizzle the filling and spread it with the back of a spoon. Pop it into the freezer to set.
- To make the topping: Combine the chocolate and oil in a small saucepan over low heat. (Or you can zap in the microwave for 30 seconds.) Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together until you have a smooth chocolate.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the filling of your bars and spread it evenly by moving your loaf tin around so it’s evenly distributed. Finish with some flaky salt and let it finish setting in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and use parchment paper to remove the chocolate bars from the loaf tin. Using a serrated sharp knife, cut 8 pieces out. Serve immediately or store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container.
It AIP: Use tigernut butter in place of tahini. Use 1/4 cup (24 g) of carob powder in place of chocolate. Omit vanilla extract or sub vanilla powder or alcohol-free vanilla extract.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.