If it’s Tuesday, it’s tacos in my house. If I have said it once, I have said a million times, anything can be a taco. And if I haven’t said it before, I will say this, almost anything can be veganized. So, how about carnitas? Yes, please! To make these carnitas, I use maitake mushrooms. And it couldn’t be any simpler. Marinate the mushrooms for a half hour in a mixture of freshly squeezed orange juice, chipotles in adobo, and Mexican oregano. Heat and serve. You will be eating tacos in no time.
Taco Tuesday: Smoky Mushroom Carnitas [Vegan]
For the Smoky Mushroom Carnitas:
- 1 package maitake mushroom
- 1/4 onion
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chipotles in adobo
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3 corn tortillas
- Red cabbage shredded
- Avocado mashed
- Scallions sliced
- Lime crema drizzled
For the Lime Crema:
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup cashew cream
- Press the maitakes on a cast iron skillet with another skillet on top. Keep cooking and pressing down until the mushrooms are flat and charred.
- Shred the mushrooms and add to a bowl. Thinly slice the onion into half moons and add to the mushrooms. Squeeze the fresh orange juice on top, add the chipotles in adobo and oregano. Stir around until everything is coated. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes (or longer if you have time.)
- Mix the lime and cashew cream together to make the lime crema.
- Quick sauté the mushrooms and onions just to heat them through.
- Char your tortillas.
- Assemble your tacos. Add the mushrooms on the bottom and top with cabbage, avocado, scallions and lime crema. Enjoy!