That viral taco pizza we've all been seeing just got its game stepped up! This is all vegan, oil-free, healthier for ya but with all the delicious flavor! Traditional pizza crust is topped with spicy, Mexican-inspired sauce, then tacos stuffed with fajita-style Portobello mushrooms and red peppers. A huge dollop of guacamole, plenty of dairy-free potato cheese sauce, pico de gallo, and your favorite taco toppings all send this pizza into the stratosphere.
Taco Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Easy Mexican Spiced Pizza Sauce:
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
For the Potato Cheese Sauce:
- 2 cups potatoes, diced large
- 1 cup carrots, diced large
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Fajita Veggies:
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, sliced into strips
- 2 cups potatoes, diced small
- 1 1/2 cups red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup bell peppers (1 large or 2 small), sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
To Make the Pizza Base:
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet.
- Roll out pizza dough into a 14-inch circle, then prick with a few holes to avoid bubbling up.
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce together until smooth, and evenly distribute over crust.
- Place into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until fluffy and golden.
To Make the Potato Cheese Sauce:
- Soak cashews overnight, or at least 8 hours. Drain and set aside.
- Place potatoes and carrots into a steamer and steam until easily poked with a fork.
- Add the steamed cashews, steamed vegetables plus all of the remaining ingredients into a high-speed blender and process until smooth. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
To Make the Fajita Veggies:
- In a large pan over medium heat, add in 1/4 cup of the water, onions, and garlic. Saute until translucent and fragrant, adding more liquid as needed.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until uniform. Cook until soft, about 6 minutes. If the potatoes need more time, cover and allow it to "steam" until soft.
To Make the Tacos:
- Warm tortillas on a pan or directly over the fire on medium-low heat to soften up.
- Add the desired amount of each ingredient into your tacos, assembling about 14-16 to start and making more later as needed to fill the top of the pizza.
- Once crust is cooked, assemble tacos around the outer rim of the pizza, making more tacos if needed.
- Fill the middle of the pizza with guacamole, then top with cilantro, and more cheese sauce.
- To serve, cut into about eight slices, being sure to not cut through the tacos but aside each one to preserve them for presentation.