Szechuan eggplant is a famous Chinese dish that's traditionally prepared by deep-frying eggplant strips in a sticky, garlic-ginger sauce. This recipe does it a little differently by sautéeing the eggplant in the sauce with molasses added to give it that glossy, deep-fried look, so you can enjoy the same taste without all the oil. Serve this easy stir-fry over a bed of rice, so you don't miss a single drop of garlic sauce.
Szechuan Eggplant in Garlic Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Szechuan Eggplant in Garlic Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 medium-sized Chinese eggplants or 1 large globe eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1/4 red bell pepper , cut into strips
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 teaspoon unsulphured molasses, (optional)
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
How to Prepare Szechuan Eggplant in Garlic Sauce [Vegan]
- Cut the eggplants into strips and set aside.
- Prepare sauce by combining water, sesame oil, sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce, and molasses and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, sauté eggplant strips until golden brown. You may need extra oil.
- Remove eggplant strips from the pan and set aside.
- Add garlic, ginger, spring onions, and bell pepper, and sauté until fragrant.
- Add eggplant strips and prepared sauce and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1minute.
- Add tapioca starch mixture and cook until thickened.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.