Szechuan eggplant is a famous Chinese dish that's traditionally prepared by deep-frying eggplant strips in a sticky, garlic-ginger sauce. This recipe does it a little differently by sautéeing the eggplant in the sauce with molasses added to give it that glossy, deep-fried look, so you can enjoy the same taste without all the oil. Serve this easy stir-fry over a bed of rice, so you don't miss a single drop of garlic sauce.
Szechuan Eggplant in Garlic Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Szechuan Eggplant in Garlic Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 medium-sized Chinese eggplants or 1 large globe eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1/4 red bell pepper , cut into strips
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 teaspoon unsulphured molasses, (optional)
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
How to Prepare Szechuan Eggplant in Garlic Sauce [Vegan]
- Cut the eggplants into strips and set aside.
- Prepare sauce by combining water, sesame oil, sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce, and molasses and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, sauté eggplant strips until golden brown. You may need extra oil.
- Remove eggplant strips from the pan and set aside.
- Add garlic, ginger, spring onions, and bell pepper, and sauté until fragrant.
- Add eggplant strips and prepared sauce and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1minute.
- Add tapioca starch mixture and cook until thickened.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.