These meatballs are a perfect appetizer or side-dish for your holiday parties this year! Just poke in a toothpick and you have a bite-sized snack that is sure to impress. These little meatballs have a nice bite to the outside but are soft and chewy on the inside. They taste awesome served on their own or over rice.
Sweet and Sour Bean Meatballs [Vegan]
- 3 cups prepared white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot, sweet, and sour sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a reusable baking mat.
- Add beans, gluten, garlic powder, onion powder, and soy sauce to a food processor and process until crumbly dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, knead in the green onions, and form a ball of dough.
- Allow resting for 20 minutes so that the gluten can develop.
- Roll about 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball and place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all dough is used.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping the balls halfway through.
- Remove from oven.
- Preheat oil in a frying pan.
- Add balls to hot oil and saute until nice crispy crust forms, about 2 minutes, constantly shaking the pan so the balls roll around and don't get cooked only on one side.
- Add in the sweet and sour sauce and toss to coat.
- Veggie Meatballs