You are going to love this twist on traditional mac and cheese. Macaroni pasta is tossed in a velvety sweet potato-based cheese and seasoned with sage leaves. This earthy dish is bound to become a weeknight favorite.
Sweet Potato Sage Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 5-6 fresh sage leaves, left whole
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package of whole-wheat or gluten-free pasta, cooked
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a skillet, heat the 3 tablespoons of vegan butter over medium heat until brown. Add in the sage leaves and cook for 5-6 minutes until crispy. Remove the sage leaves from the butter. Set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until fork-tender.
- In a separate saucepan, add the reserved sage margarine. Add the cornstarch to the soy milk and whisk together until smooth, add to the saucepan and whisk together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: nutritional yeast, minced garlic clove, dijon mustard, onion powder, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook until thick.
- Add the sauce to a blender. Once cooked, remove the sweet potatoes from the pot and drain.
- Add 1 cup of cooked sweet potatoes to the blender, process until thick and smooth. Add in the remaining sage leaves and pulse a few times. Season to taste with salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes.
- Toss with cooked pasta and serve.