I am sure that Ras malai will find its place in the world’s top 10 non-vegan desserts. Made out of cream, milk, cheese,etc, etc. I was pretty sure that I wouldn’t be able to veganize this. But clearly, I was wrong! It turned out AMAZING. Note: You need to make the cream sauce a day before for the flavors to marry properly!
Sweet Potato Ras Malai [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato Ras Malai [Vegan]
For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato, either roasted/boiled and mashed well
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon almond meal (preferably oven-roasted)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- Seeds from 1 cardamom pod, pounded with mortar and pestle into a fine powder
- 1 tablespoon stevia
For the Cream Sauce:
- 1 handful of cashews
- 1 handful of pistachios
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cup almond milk
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons stevia
How to Prepare Sweet Potato Ras Malai [Vegan]
To Make the Dumplings:
- Chop sweet potato into large chunks and add them into boiling water, drain, pat them dry, mash well without any lumps
- Add rest of the ingredients and shape them into balls
- Steam them in a bamboo basket.
- Prick them with toothpick
To Make the Cream Sauce:
- To a bowl, add all the ingredients and leave it overnight.
- Next day, while the dumplings are cooking, remove the cardamom pods and blend into a fine paste/milk
- After the dumplings are done, heat this paste.
- When it starts to thicken, add the dumplings and then turn the heat off.
- Chill for couple of hours and serve
Adapted from Poojitha from Kitchen Equations
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.