This sweet potato gnocchi is fluffy and tender, with an inexplicable melt-in-your-mouth texture that's addictive. Its mild flavor works beautifully with the creamy basil pesto with bright lemon and garlic. These are an absolute must-try for any gnocchi-lover.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi With Pesto [Vegan]
For the Gnocchi:
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, or 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the Pesto:
- 1 cup (packed down) fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Garnish:
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large pot of water, boil the sweet potatoes for 35 minutes, or until tender. Drain them and carefully pull the skins off while still hot. Pass the peeled potatoes through a ricer onto a lightly floured surface, or mash them until smooth with a potato masher, if you don't have a ricer. Allow to cool completely.
- Make a flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons warm water and set aside to thicken.
- While the sweet potato is cooling, make the pesto. Add the walnuts to a food processor and process for one minute. Add the basil and process until incorporated. Add remaining ingredients and process until the mixture is smooth. Add extra olive oil, if needed, for smoothness, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and reduce heat until it gently boils.
- Once sweet potato is cooled, sprinkle with the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the flax egg. Using your hands, start to mix the sweet potato, flour, and flax egg until a dough starts to form.
- Knead the dough for roughly four minutes, using extra flour to sprinkle the dough and the work surface if dough is too sticky. You want a smooth mound of dough, but it shouldn't be too springy or elastic.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a long rope that is a little less than an inch thick.
- Cut each rope into half-inch pieces. Use a fork to lightly press down on a piece of dough and roll it towards you, creating a ridged pattern on each piece before transferring it to a baking sheet that has been lightly dusted with flour.
- Using a spatula transfer 15-20 gnocchi to the pot of gently boiling water. stirring once to ensure none of the pasta sticks to the bottom. After about 2 minutes, the gnocchi will float to the top when it has finished cooking.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the cooked gnocchi and transfer to a large covered bowl with a drizzle of olive oil in the bottom. Repeat this process until all the gnocchi is cooked.
- Stir the pesto into the warm gnocchi and serve with a garnish of red pepper flakes.
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile