These muffins are wholesome and filling, yet delectably sweet and moist using whole grains and minimal ingredients. They combine the dynamite combination of sweet potatoes and dates which will be sure to make your next breakfast or snack a real sweet treat.
Sweet Potato Date Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole grain spelt flour (sub gluten free or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 cup large flake rolled oats, ground into a course flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cane or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped dates, soaked
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup sunflower or coconut oil
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Chop dates and set in 1/4 cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, until soft and thickened.
- Grind oats in a blender or food processor. Note: If you would like these muffins to have some pieces of oat still intact, only grind to a course crumb. If you want a smoother constancy, grind your oats into a finer flour.
- Peel and cube sweet potato into small (1/2-inch) cubes. Steam until fork tender.
- Combine all wet ingredients, including dates and soaking liquid.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour wet into dry. Carefully fold sweet potato cubes into mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Pour into lightly greased or lined muffin tin.
- Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes and then, without opening oven door, turn temperature down to 400°F for a remaining 15-20 minutes.
- Sweet Potato