There's a pretty good chance you've tried a veggie burger patty that has sweet potato in it, but have you ever had a burger with sweet potato buns?! We're here to make that happen! This burger is light, healthy, and super flavorful. The patty is made from a combination of chickpeas, kidney beans, sweet potato, and oats. Pair this burger with some veggie aioli, guacamole, mango salsa, or any other condiment your heart desires!
Sweet Potato Burger [Vegan]
For the Sweet Potato Buns:
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes
For the Kidney Bean and Sweet Potato Patties:
- 1 cup canned kidney beans
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 cup grated sweet potato
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika spice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
To Make the Sweet Potato Buns:
- Start by preheating the oven to 392°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into thick, round slices. Place the slices onto baking tray and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Or you can also cook them in grill along with the patties.
To Make the Patties:
- Preheat a frying pan to medium heat. Add the olive oil, diced onion and minced garlic cloves, sauté until golden. Add the grated sweet potato and spices, sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor, blender, or using a fork, mash the kidney beans and chickpeas. In a large bowl combine the beans, sweet potato, onion mixture, and rolled oats. Stir well and form into 8-10 even-sized balls. Press flat and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- In case you are using a barbecue, freeze the patties first for about half an hour to set (so they don't crumble) and then grill as usual.
- Sweet Potato