There's a pretty good chance you've tried a veggie burger patty that has sweet potato in it, but have you ever had a burger with sweet potato buns?! We're here to make that happen! This burger is light, healthy, and super flavorful. The patty is made from a combination of chickpeas, kidney beans, sweet potato, and oats. Pair this burger with some veggie aioli, guacamole, mango salsa, or any other condiment your heart desires!
Sweet Potato Burger [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato Burger [Vegan]
For the Sweet Potato Buns:
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes
For the Kidney Bean and Sweet Potato Patties:
- 1 cup canned kidney beans
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 cup grated sweet potato
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika spice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
How to Prepare Sweet Potato Burger [Vegan]
To Make the Sweet Potato Buns:
- Start by preheating the oven to 392°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into thick, round slices. Place the slices onto baking tray and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Or you can also cook them in grill along with the patties.
To Make the Patties:
- Preheat a frying pan to medium heat. Add the olive oil, diced onion and minced garlic cloves, sauté until golden. Add the grated sweet potato and spices, sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor, blender, or using a fork, mash the kidney beans and chickpeas. In a large bowl combine the beans, sweet potato, onion mixture, and rolled oats. Stir well and form into 8-10 even-sized balls. Press flat and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- In case you are using a barbecue, freeze the patties first for about half an hour to set (so they don't crumble) and then grill as usual.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.