This sweet potato and kale hash is made with simple ingredients and comes together in under thirty minutes!
Sweet Potato and Kale Hash [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato and Kale Hash [Vegan]
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed avocado oil (sub coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 medium sweet potato (approx. 1 1/4 cup) small diced for even cooking
- 1 medium (red) bell pepper, cut into match sticks (or julienned)
- 4 medium fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 whole stalk Swiss chard, clean and cut about 3/4 inch cuts
- 1 whole stalk curly kale, leaf hand-torn off stem into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (extra to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: raw hemp seeds, avocado slices, fresh herbs
How to Prepare Sweet Potato and Kale Hash [Vegan]
- Place a large skillet pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil.
- If opting for garlic, add to pan and heat until slightly aromatic.
- Add sweet potatoes, evenly distributed across pan and toss to coat with the oil. Allow sweet potatoes to cook for about 3 minutes, or until just slightly caramelized or golden.
- Reduce heat to medium, add bell peppers, toss or stir to mix and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Remove pan from heat, add 1 tablespoon oil, add shiitakes, place pan back on stove and bring heat back up to medium-high. Toss to mix. Add salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add kale, using tongs, toss or stir to mix. Then add Swiss chard. Toss or stir to mix together with the other ingredients in the pan. Cook until greens are slightly wilted, about 60-90 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat. Remove smashed garlic clove from pan.
- Add raw hemp seeds and/or avocado slices for garnish. Serve family-style in skillet or plate up per person!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.