This is a very nutritious and filling naan. Made from a blend of spelt and chickpea flour with sweet potato mixed in, it is not quite as fatty as a takeout naan bread and a lot drier in texture, but is absolutely delicious. Serve as you would any naan, with your favorite curry.
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Naan [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato and Chickpea Naan [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour or your favorite gluten-free flour mix
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted mashed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup soy or almond milk
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil
How to Prepare Sweet Potato and Chickpea Naan [Vegan]
- Begin by roasting your sweet potato. You can do this by setting a medium or large sweet potato in a 425°F oven until easily pierced by a fork.
- Once roasted and cooled peel skin and mash the flesh.
- Use 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato and combine with the milk and sunflower oil. Mix well and set aside. separate bowl, combine all the other ingredients.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to your flour mixture. Begin by mixing with a wooden spoon then remove dough and place on a floured surface and kneed for about 10 minutes. If the mixture is too sticky, add a little more flour as you go until it becomes easier to handle.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rise for about 45 minutes until doubles in size.
- Seperate the dough in eight equal pieces and roll our with a rolling pin into thin circle shapes.
- Heat a little sunflower oil in a pan on medium heat and fry each bread for about 30 seconds each side. Add a little more oil as you go if you need it. They will puff up quickly. Continue until you finish all the breads.
- Serve with your favourite curry. Store in a sealable plastic bag and freeze for when you are ready to use.
Adapted from Occasionally Eggs.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.