Baked vegan spring rolls made with Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. Quick and easy lunch recipe is a twist on the traditional Chinese recipe staple. Yes, the added ginger has a strong flavor that compliments the Brussels sprouts dull flavor and tones down the sweetness of sweet potatoes. Together, all three are the perfect company!
Baked Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts Spring Rolls [Vegan]
- 6 Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste or tamarind sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 10 vegan wrappers
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut six Brussels sprouts into long strips.
- Peel the skin from one medium-sized potato. Using a cheese grater, grate 1/2 of a sweet potato.
- Grate ginger to make 1 tablespoon and grate 2 cloves of garlic
- Cut 1/4 of red onions into thin, long strips.
- In a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of tamarind paste (or tamarind sauce) and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Add 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of water. Mix well and set aside.
- In a stir-fry pan, add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and heat at medium heat.
- Add the onions, ginger, and garlic. Mix until the onions are translucent.
- Add the brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.
- Stir fry for a few minutes. When the Brussels sprouts are soft, add the tamarind sauce mixture and mix well
- Cook for about 2 more minutes. Continue stirring this time.
- In a small bowl, add 1 cup of water and in a separate bowl add 1 cup of oil
- Take one vegan wrapper - set one tip of the square wrapper to be on the top. This will make a diamond shape.
- Add the Brussels sprouts mixture diagonally
- Start with the bottom of the diamond. Fold it over the stuffing.
- Wet the sides of the wrapper. Then fold the left and right sides. Finally fold the top of the wrapper to close it. Make about 10 more spring rolls in the same way
- On a baking tray, place the spring rolls. Using a basting brush, lightly brush spring rolls with oil
- Bake in the oven for about 7-10 minutes. When the top of the spring rolls has browned, remove from the oven and let it cool.