This watercress salad takes ordinary ingredients and combines them in such a way to make a unique dish. Beets and yams are sliced and roasted until tender and creamy, then stacked on top of each other, sprinkled with watercress leaves, and drizzled with a salty-sweet umami miso dressing. Serve this refreshing salad as an elegant starter and your guests will never look at sweet potatoes and beets the same!
Sweet Potato and Beet Salad [Vegan]
- 6 small beets of various colors
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- A bunch of watercress, leaves only
- Nuts and seeds of your choice (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Wrap beets in aluminum foil. Slice yams into 1/2-inch circles.
- Arrange yams and beets on baking sheet, beets on one side and yams on the other. Sprinkle yams with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 35 minutes, until yams have become golden and blistered in some spots. Remove yams and set aside, and continue baking beets for an additional 25-30 minutes, until beets can be easily pierced through with a fork.
- Let cool in aluminum foil, then peel skin off using paper towels or while wearing disposable gloves. Slice beets into 1/2-inch slices.
- Now, make the dressing. Shake all remaining ingredients (except for the nuts and seeds) vigorously in a jar, using a fork to break up the miso, or, for best results, blend using an immersion or standing blender.
- To serve salad in individual portions, arrange yam and beet slices one on top of another in neat stacks on plates, one stack per plate. Top each stack with watercress leaves, drizzle generously with dressing, and sprinkle nuts and seeds, if you'd like.
- To serve salad family style, arrange yam and beet slices interchangeably on a large platter. Pile on the watercress leaves in the middle, sprinkle the nuts and seeds, and drizzle on the dressing.
- Serve immediately.