Soft and hearty delicious homemade loaves with molasses and cocoa powder, they’re slightly sweet, offering up subtle rich flavors and amazing taste!
Sweet Molasses Brown Bread [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or some other non-diary milk or water), warmed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy butter or coconut oil, softened
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 2/3 cups white whole-wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Old-fashioned rolled oats for sprinkling on top, optional
- Combine dry ingredients including yeast, (if using instant yeast) in a large bowl, make a hole in the mixture. Add milk, molasses and butter and mix with a wooden spoon until dough becomes wet and shaggy, then knead with your hand until dough comes together.
- Place dough in a large oiled bowl (or leave in a bread machine bucket); cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto a flour dusted work-surface, divide into 3 pieces and shape into loaves.
- Place dough on a lightly greased (or parchment lined) baking sheet or place in greased loaf pans and sprinkle with oats.
- Allow dough to rise, covered in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour, until almost doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 F. towards the end of the rising time.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the color deepens and a toothpick or tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove loaves from oven and cool on a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature