This is the perfect “use-what-you-have” marinade that, in all honesty, is comparable to the more traditional sweet and sour sauce you'd buy in the store! Simply marinate the tofu in the sauce we've provided (or a new creation of your own) then coat & fry, or bake until crispy. and Add these little bites of flavour to your favorite bowl for an added boost of protein. Dinner never sounded so easy.
Sweet and Sour Sesame Tofu Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet and Sour Sesame Tofu Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup sugar-free barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 cup wild or white rice
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu
- 2 green onions
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Sesame seeds to garnish
How to Prepare Sweet and Sour Sesame Tofu Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Mix together in a bowl the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, Worcestershire, ground ginger, garlic powder, and liquid aminos.
- Set aside 1/3 of the sauce and cover.
- Chop half a block of extra firm tofu into equal sized cubes.
- Marinate the tofu cubes in the remaining 2/3 of the sweet and sour sauce.
- Leave the marinated tofu and remaining sauce in the fridge overnight.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add 1 cup of your preferred rice.
- Cover and reduce the heat, allowing it to simmer for about an hour or until the rice kernels pop. divide the rice between two bowls.
- Chop up 2 green onions and add 1 to each of the bowls.
- Take the marinated tofu and extra sauce out of the fridge.
- Add 1 teaspoon corn starch to the remaining sauce and coat the marinated tofu in the mixture.
- Either bake the tofu at 400°F on a nonstick sheet for 30 minutes or fry in coconut oil until crispy.
- Add the tofu to your bowl and top with sesame seeds. Serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving (Per Bowl): Calories: 297 l Fat: 12g | Sat Fat: 6g* | Unsaturated Fat: 1.1 g | Carbs: 41 g | Natural Sugar: 3 g | Fiber: 2.75 g | Sodium: 207 mg | Protein: 11.25 g *For a low fat option bake the tofu instead of frying in coconut oil.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.