A gluten free, grain-free, and vegan delicious crunchy cookie. These biscotti are full of nourishing ingredients and decorated with natural colorful 'sprinkles' like poppy seeds, crushed nuts, crushed rose petals, lavender buds, sesame seeds, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, and goji berry powder.
Superfood Biscotti [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 3/4 cup cashew flour or tiger nut flour
- 2 tablespoons finely ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon lucuma powder
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/3 cup vegan raw or dark chocolate (minimum 70 percent)
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon reishi mushroom blend (totally optional)
For the Topping:
- Crushed rose petals, as desired
- Poppy seeds, as desired
- Hemp hearts, as desired
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, as desired
- Sesame seeds, as desired
- Lavender petals, as desired
- Fleur de sel, as desired
- Crushed nuts, as desired
- Goji berries, as desired
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the apple sauce, ground chia seed, and maple syrup. If you are using vanilla extract instead of vanilla bean powder, stir the extract in too. Set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together all of the remaining ingredients except the water. Add the apple sauce mixture, and combine well- you can use a spoon, electric mixer, or just clean hands to work the ingredients into a smooth dough. Add the teaspoon of water if you need it.
- Transfer the dough to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Keep a small dish of water nearby, to wet hands as needed while you shape the dough. Shape the dough into a log with rounded ends, about 10 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide. Smooth the dough out as best as you can with wet hands.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from oven, and quickly transfer to a cooling rack. Once cooled, you can diagonally slice the log into 1-inch wide pieces. Return the biscotti to the baking sheet, and bake at 250°F for 15 minutes. Turn each biscotti over, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until nicely golden and firm.
- Allow the biscotti to cool while you prepare the chocolate and "sprinkles."
- Prepare a double boiler (a small pot filled with a few inches of water, with a bowl fitted over top but not touching the water). Finely chop the chocolate and place in the bowl. Gently melt the chocolate over low heat. Once melted, stir in the mushroom blend (if using).
- Allow the chocolate to cool for a few minutes, and then either dip or drizzle chocolate over the biscotti. Place on a cooling rack or parchment paper, and decorate with sprinkles of your choice. Allow the chocolate to set and then store in an airtight container for up to three days (they will soften a bit by day two), or in the freezer for up to a month.
- Almond Flour
- Arrowroot Flour
- Flax Seed
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile