When avoiding gluten and most flours, it may seem difficult to make certain dishes that used to be staples. When it comes to wraps, most of them on the market that are conveniently pre-made are either not to my taste or just full of things I'd rather not consume. Thankfully, you don't have to settle if you feel the same way! Collards are the perfect replacement that are just as easy to use, plus you get a serving of greens in. There are a million ways that you can fill them; this one is easy, fast, and bursting with flavor.
Super Simple Collard Burritos [Vegan]
- 4 large collard leaves, stem cut off.
- 3-4 cups of cooked rice
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- Salsa, as desired.
- Chili powder
- Hot Sauce
- Guacamole or avocado
- Refried beans
- Chopped red onion
- Cashew sour cream (or other vegan sour cream)
- Rinse collards well and pat dry with a kitchen towel, then gently slice off the thick part of the stem that runs through the leaf, being careful not to tear the leaf. Then at the top, where the stem was cut, slice off a bit of each corner of the leaf.
- Pile on the toppings, starting with the rice, spices, hot sauce, beans, and finishing with the peppers and salsa, leaving a third of the bottom and sides empty.
- Fold closed as follows:
- Grab the bottom third and fold it over the toppings, then grab the sides and fold over, keeping it closed with a toothpick threaded through.
- Serve with guilt-free tortilla chips and dip of choice.