I love it when it is a joy to get a ton of protein and fiber, especially in the form of a creative burger. This chickpea, corn and sunflower seed patty is so filling and yummy, with a great texture and consistency. This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.
Sunflower Chickpea Corn Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup cornichon pickles
- 1⁄3 cup gluten-free vegan bread crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or other high-heat oil)
- Gluten-free burger buns
- Vegan mayo
- Red onion slices
- Avocado slices
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients, except the coconut oil, and pulse a few times to mix and break down, leaving a coarse texture.
- Shape the mixture into 4 burger patties and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties on both sides until they develop a crust and start to brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Assemble the burgers with gluten-free buns and your favorite accompaniments.
- This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photos by Maya Sozer.