This no-yeast, cheesy and fluffy Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Babka Wreath is packed with flavour, a lovely no-knead dough and is great to tear-and share with friends. It’s naturally vegan, nut-free and easy to make.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Babka Wreath [Vegan]
- 1 cup (240g) thick dairy-free yoghurt
- 1 cup (220g) self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 cup (200g) sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/3 cup (40g) dairy-free grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Basil leaves, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C and have a flat baking sheet to hand.
- Stir together the yoghurt and flour, bringing together with your hands to a ball of dough. Gently knead for 1 minute.
- Place a large square of parchment (the same size as your baking sheet) on the work surface and sprinkle over the flour.
- Transfer the dough to the parchment. Roll out to 30x35cm (or thereabouts). While rolling, check that the underneath has not stuck, adding more flour as needed.
- Spread the pesto over the dough, leaving a 1-cm border round the edge. Sprinkle over the cheese.
- Using then long edge, roll the dough up into a log and press down gently to seal the edges.
- Slice the log in half, leaving the top intact and gently twist the braids so the filling is exposed. Now you will have two braids and begin to plait them, lifting one up and over the other and continue to plait the babka. Gently shape the plait into a round wreath, pressing, folding and tucking the edges together.
- Brush with the melted butter and slide the baking sheet under the parchment paper and transfer to the oven. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until golden and crisp on top and tender inside.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before brushing with olive oil and slicing. Once cool, decorate with fresh basil leaves.
- Enjoy the babka straight away or keep it in a sealed container for 1-2 days, wrapped well. You can freeze leftovers for up to 1 month and allow to defrost at room temperature.