Sun-dried tomatoes, sweet potato, and lentils are formed into a patty, seasoned with dried basil, fresh cracked black pepper, and garlic, and baked to create this vibrant veggie patty. It's savory, filling, and zesty. Serve this in burger form with all of your favorite fixings or as a hearty salad topper.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Sweet Potato Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 cup dry brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 10 turns fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and bake the sweet potatoes for 1 hour. Put a few slits in the top of the potato with a knife and place them on a baking sheet or foil to catch any drips.
- While the potatoes are baking, place the lentils and 3 cups of water in a medium sized pan and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to medium and simmer lentils for 30 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft.
- While the lentils are cooking, place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover them with enough boiling water to cover them completely. Cover the bowl and let them re-hydrate for 15 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes and lentils are finishing up and the sun-dried tomatoes are hydrating, mince the garlic and sauté in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes until it just starts to get brown. Turn off heat and set aside.
- When the potatoes are soft, scoop out 1 packed cup of potato and place it into the food processor (keep oven at 350°), along with the cooked lentils and re-hydrated tomatoes (strain the water from them first).
- Process the ingredients for a minute or two in the food processor until everything is mixed up and there are no big pieces of tomato.
- Pour this mixture into a mixing bowl and add the garlic, rice flour, black pepper, dried basil, and sea salt.
- Scoop out the mixture a 1/2 cup at a time, and form into 6 equal-shaped patties.
- Place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes on one side, flip over and bake for an additional 15 minutes on the other side.