These perfect brunch turnovers are ridiculously easy to make, but they'll make you feel like you're dining out. Perfect with a cup of tea and just a tad sweet, these pastries are stuffed with a homemade strawberry chia jam and drizzled with a creamy maple tahini drizzle. Enjoy these with something savory, life tofu scramble or vegan breakfast sausages.
Strawberry Turnovers With Tahini Maple Drizzle [Vegan]
For the Turnovers:
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon date sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 1 sheet thawed vegan puff pastry, kept cold until ready to use
- Flour, for dusting and rolling
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
To Make the Turnovers:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the quartered strawberries, date sugar, and water. Bring to a simmer, stirring and breaking up the strawberries with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until the berries begin to break down. You still want some of the berries to hold shape.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds, then set aside to cool while you prep the puff pastry dough.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out 1 puff pastry sheet to a 14x11-inch rectangle. Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut the rectangle lengthways into 2 halves. Cut into 6 squares. Then, cut each square into 2 triangles.
- Place about 1 tablespoon or so of the jam onto one side of the triangle. Fold over, corner to corner, to create another triangle. Fold the 3 sides up sealing each side (see photos).
- Place triangles on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool.
To Make the Drizzle:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle the maple tahini over the cooled pastries and sprinkle with chopped macadamia nuts.
- Serve the same day and store leftovers in the refrigerator.