Strawberry cookies and cream cheesecake is here! The base is sweet and chewy like every good cookie should be and the filling is creamy and light with hints of vanilla. It’s refined sugar free, gluten free, raw, and vegan. If you don’t have carob, by all means sub with cacao or cocoa, but carob really does give the best dark chocolate cookie flavor. This cheesecake is light and creamy and makes for a crowd pleasing dessert at a dinner party.
Strawberry Cookies and Cream Cheesecake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- 1 cup unroasted buckwheat groats (or substitute with more pecans)
- 1 cup whole raw pecans
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dried dates, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons carob powder
For the Filling:
- 3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight in cold water and drained
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
For the Carob Cookie Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon carob
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- If you’re using buckwheat groats in your base, blend them for a few minutes in your blender until ‘sandy’, you want them to be finely ground, but not so much that it turns to flour.
- Add pecans, dates, coconut oil and carob to the ground buckwheat and pulse and blend until the mixture starts to stick together.
- Press mixture down firmly into a lined tin. I used a 28×18 cm slice tin. Pop in the fridge while you make the filling. If you’d like to make the crumb topping, add the dates, pecans, carob and maple syrup to your blender and pulse until crumbly. Set aside.
- Rinse out your blender and add cashews, coconut oil, coconut milk, lemon juice, maple syrup and salt. Process until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides half way through. Fold through the strawberries and cacao nibs.
- Pour the filling on top of the base and pop in the freezer to set for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and leave for 20-30 mins before slicing. Top with fresh strawberries and your carob cookie crumb.