Inspired by Carnival Horror Amusement parks, carnivals, circuses, freak shows—there are plenty of horror shows and movies that incorporate these themes, including It, The Lost Boys, American Horror Story: Freak Show, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Child’s Play 3, and Us. This recipe was inspired by a favorite fair food: the funnel cake. It’s fried, greasy, salty, and sweet, and worth the stomachache that may creep up on you.
Sriracha Maple Funnel Cake Sandwich [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sriracha Maple Funnel Cake Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup (135 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (12 g) finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup (7 g) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups (950 ml) oil, for frying
Sriracha Maple Aioli
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 vegan burger patty
- 2 slices vegan cheese of choice
- 2 strips Campfire Mushroom
- Bacon (page 132)
How to Prepare Sriracha Maple Funnel Cake Sandwich [Vegan]
- To make the funnel cakes: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, sage, rosemary, and sea salt. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, stir together the almond milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well until smooth. Allow the batter to rest for 10 to 15 minutes to give the milk time to soften the flour and dissolve any lumps.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over high heat for 3 to 5 minutes before adding the batter. Line a plate with a paper towel and set aside.
- Place the batter in a squeeze bottle. Squirt the batter in the oil in a circular motion over and over to create a thick, solid cake. Once you have a decent cake with a solid middle that is large enough to hold the burger patty, cook it for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown all over and you can flip it over. Cook it for another 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to the prepared plate to drain and cool. Repeat this step for the second funnel cake (and additional funnel cakes if you have extra batter).
- To make the sriracha maple aioli: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sriracha, maple syrup, and soy sauce until well blended. Refrigerate the sriracha-maple aioli in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Cook the burger patty according to the package instructions.
- To assemble, place the burger patty on a funnel cake and top with the cheese slices. Add the mushroom bacon strips, squirt the sriracha maple aioli over it, and top with the other funnel cake.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.