This recipe is a somewhat similar to mapo tofu -- perfect if you're into spicy Chinese food!
Spicy Tofu With Mushroom Mince [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces brown or shiitake mushrooms, minced / finely diced
- 2 tablespoons doubanjiang (fermented black bean paste)
- 1 block (400g) firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, for cornstarch slurry
- 1 tablespoon water, for cornstarch slurry
For the Sauce Mixture:
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, to taste
- 2-3 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or use tamari / coconut aminos
- 2-3 stalks green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
In a skillet, heat some cooking oil and add in the garlic, mushrooms, and doubanjiang.
Fry on medium heat for 7-8 minutes, until the mushroom mixture is fragrant, then add in the tofu and sauce ingredients.
Shake the pan back and forth to distribute the sauce, and cover the skillet. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the cornstarch slurry and continue simmering (uncovered) until the sauce has thickened. Serve warm!