The most successful scramble recipes I found all used heavy flavoring with spices or herbs to bring the tofu to life, so I quickly got used to the idea of curry powder in my breakfast. In fact, I have rather grown to love it. For this recipe I used smoked paprika and curry powder. Then I mixed in some delicious veggies for extra flavor and health points. I find the mix of spices creates a really delicious, rich dish that isn’t too overpowering.
Spicy Tofu Scramble Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 7 ounces tofu
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 garlic clove
- Large handful spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large field mushrooms or portobellos (the big flat ones)
- Preheat your oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl mash the tofu with a fork and set to one side.
- Slice the onion and peppers and fry in a pan in a little oil for 5 minutes until softened, then add the spices, garlic, and spinach and continue to cook for another few minutes to cook the spices.
- Add the tofu to the pan and stir well to combine the tofu with all the lovely flavors. Add some seasoning and taste.
- Once the vegetables are cooked and the tofu nicely coated in spices pile the tofu mixture onto your mushrooms and place on a baking tray in the oven for 15 minutes.
- The mushrooms should wilt and the tofu mixture will turn golden and firm up.