Be prepared for this to become one of your new favorite soups! Quinoa and black beans soak in this spicy, savory bowl of flavors, topped with crispy tortilla strips and all of your other favorites!
Spicy Quinoa and Black Bean Tortilla Soup [Vegan]
- 1/2 large onion – rough chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes – quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno – deveined and deseeded (reduce to 1/2 for less spicy)
- 1 chipotle in adobo with a tablespoon of sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 15 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1-2 can black beans – rinsed and drained
- fresh cilantro, avocado, and lime for serving
- crispy tortilla strips
- To make the tortilla strips, cut corn tortillas into strips and combine with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place on baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 10-15 minutes, checking 1/2 way through.
- Combine onion, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, and chili in adobo sauce in a food processor/blender. Blend until very smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add blended tomato mixture to pan and saute for about 10 minutes (to let mixture release moisture). Stir in the tomato paste and cumin.
- Add your vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Add in quinoa and cook until tender (about 20 minutes)
- Add in corn and black beans and cook just to heat through. Stir in fresh cilantro!