This recipe is sort of strange because I used mostly condiments to season and flavor it instead of dried spices. This contributes to the rich, velvety texture of the broth, and adds a great umami flavor. You can also make it in the crockpot, but I recommend sauteing the mushrooms first if you do.
Spicy Peanut Mushroom Kale Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spicy Peanut Mushroom Kale Soup [Vegan]
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup destemmed kale, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 pound tempeh, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 can cold coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2-3 cups broth
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, crushed slightly
How to Prepare Spicy Peanut Mushroom Kale Soup [Vegan]
- Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with a pinch of salt and about a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Toss to mix everything together, cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow the vegetables to release their water, when they start sticking to the bottom of the pan you’re ready to move on.
- Add the kale, tempeh, garlic, and peanut butter. Carefully (don’t shake it) open the can of coconut milk (if you didn’t have a cold can, place it in the freezer for about 10 minutes) and scoop all of the solid coconut fat into the soup. Save the water for a smoothie.
- Add the soy sauce, mustard, Sriracha, hoisin sauce, and crushed red pepper. Stir. Cook for another 3-5 minutes. The peanut butter and coconut fat should be melted into the soup.
- Add enough broth to just cover all of the vegetables. The soup should still be very thick and chunky, not too brothy. Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for another 20 minutes or until you’re ready to serve.
- Crush up some peanuts in your hands or with the sides of a chef’s knife. Sprinkle them on top of each bowl as a garnish for extra crunch.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.