This chili is not only full of flavor, but it also uses pantry staples!
Spicy Maple Slow Cooker Chili [Vegan]
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8-oz [227-g]) package cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 small sweet potatoes, shredded
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup (100 g) quinoa
- 1 medium serrano pepper, deseeded
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 large ribs celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons (6 g) smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon (3 g) finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure maple syrup
- 4 cups (960 ml) veggie broth
- Toppings of your choice (see Bai’s Tip)
- In a 5- to 7-quart (5- to 7-L) slow cooker, combine the black beans, great northern beans, pinto beans, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, tomato, quinoa, serrano pepper, carrot, garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, oregano, maple syrup and broth. Mix the ingredients well, cover the slow cooker and cook the chili on high for 6 to 8 hours, until the chili is thick and the sweet potatoes and carrot are soft.
- Taste the chili for salt and add more if needed. Divide the chili among six bowls and serve it with any toppings you’d like.
BAI’S TIP: The sky’s the limit on what you can top this chili with! My favorites as shown in the photo are: Cashew Cream (page 173), thinly sliced tortillas, sliced scallions, lime wedges, shredded vegan cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, hot sauce, sliced radish and chopped or sliced avocado.