Truthfully speaking, there are no real rules to a fruit chaat, usually tart summer fruits are used. In this version today, I have stayed away from using chaat masala, adding fresh ginger, mint and black salt instead. The dressing has some lime and brown sugar and I used grapefruit to add to a nuanced citrus like taste.
Spicy Fruit Chaat: Indian Fruit Salad [Vegan]
- 2 medium sized ripe peaches
- 4 plums
- 2 kiwis
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 medium sized grapefruit
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon black or pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (or to taste), plus more for dusting
- Peel the peaches and cut into chunks and place in a large mixing bowl. Cut the plums and add to the bowl.
- Peel the kiwis and add to the bowl. Core and add the apples and finally peel and section the grapefruit and add to the bowl. Add in the mint leaves and the almonds and mix lightly.
- In a small bowl, add in the lime juice, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper and mix well. Add the dressing to the fruit and toss lightly, chill this for at least 30 minutes before serving.