Here is a unification of two of my favorite earthly things: buffalo wing sauce and burgers. Hearty, spicy and satisfying, these burgers are as filling as they are tasty. Serve them alongside some sweet potato fries and you truly have a match made in heaven.
Spicy Buffalo Quinoa Burgers [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 tin of butter beans, drained and mashed
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup porridge oats
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 1/3 cup buffalo wing hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. chopped oregano
- salt and pepper
- Burger buns, salad and condiments, to serve, plus LOADS of extra buffalo sauce
- Place the quinoa in a pot of water and simmer for about 20 minutes or according to packet instructions.
- In the meantime, whisk the flax meal in a small bowl with the hot sauce and leave to stand.
- In a baking bowl, mash the butter beans until they are just about broken down and still a little chunky.
- Place the oats in a food processor and pulse a few times to make a coarse flour.
- Chop the vegetables and add to the bowl of mashed beans along with the herbs, salt and pepper and flax seed/hot sauce. Once the quinoa is cooked and cooled down a little, stir into the mixture until everything is incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into 4 or 5 balls and squash into patty shapes. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 400ºF/200ºC/Gas mark 6, flipping over after 15 minutes.
- Serve the burgers on fresh buns with your favourite toppings (I used guac, salad, hot sauce and sweet potato fries).
Make sure to check the ingredients on your hot sauce to ensure your brand is gluten-free, as well as choosing buns and oats that are certified gluten-free as well if that is a concern.