This is a deluxe version of your favorite dish – mac and cheese! A creamy cashew cheese sauce coats the noodles and then they are accented by tender, sautéed broccoli and mushrooms. Not only is the decadent noodle dish incredibly tasty, it takes no time to make so you can have it whenever you're craving something cheesy.
Spicy Broccoli Mac ‘n’ Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 2/3-1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces pasta of choice (gluten-free, grain-free, etc...)
- 1/4 of an onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup small chopped broccoli
- Start by soaking cashews overnight.
- The next day, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, drain and rinse the cashews, add them to a high-speed blender and add the almond milk, nutritional yeast, cayenne powder, chili powder, onion powder, pepper, and spicy mustard.
- Blend until creamy smooth.
- Add more almond milk if you desire a thinner consistency.
- Rinse, chop and sautée the broccoli, onion, and mushrooms in a non-stick skillet.
- Drain the pasta and put back in the pan, pour the creamy sauce over the top and stir in.
- Add the veggies and stir it again. Turn heat back on medium for 1-2 minutes until sauce is warm.