Some would rather eat the same thing all week than have to think about what they're bringing for lunch every day. If that's you, this recipe is for you! This chili is packed with nutritious veggies and fiber filled beans, PLUS orzo that makes this extra hearty and filling. Divide the finished product into individual containers for easy access to grab and go on busy mornings.
Spicy Black Bean and Orzo Chili [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (any color), diced
- 1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 14.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dry orzo (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) dried oregano
- Tabasco (to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Jalapeños, fresh cilantro, fresh parsley, avocado, tortilla chips, corn chips (for toppings, optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell pepper to pan and sauté for an additional 7 minutes, or until veggies begin to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes (see notes).
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve immediately with optional toppings OR allow chili to cool completely before refrigerating.
If you have the time, simmer on the stove for as long as possible - the flavors only get better with time.