Eating clean doesn't mean you have to give up favorites like pasta – simply create healthier versions! This sweet potato gnocchi for instance, simply requires boiled or baked sweet potatoes, your favourite flour, and a pinch of salt. Dress them up with cheesy, green pesto or keep things simple with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh spinach, and tomatoes.
Spelt Sweet Potato Gnocchi [Vegan]
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/3 cup spelt flour, plus more for rolling and shaping gnocchi
- A pinch of salt
- Start by boiling or baking the potatoes in the oven.
- If you are baking them they will need around 25 minutes at 200°F.
- Once they’re soft, leave to cool down for a few minutes before peeling off the skins.
- If the potatoes are too watery or mushy, let them cool down for a bit longer otherwise you will need to add more flour and the taste will not be the same. If need be, drain the water out.
- Place the skinless potatoes in a bowl, mash until smooth, season with salt and pepper, and add spelt flour.
- Combine everything well, using your hands to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, sprinkle more flour onto the work surface and knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Cut the dough into 3 pieces and roll each piece into a very long sausage shape.
- Cut up into small pillow-like shapes with a sharp knife.
- In a large pot of simmering salted water, cook gnocchi in small batches until they float. Once they float to the top, spoon them out and let them rest for few minutes before serving.