So I based this banana bread on the basic recipe from The Simple Veganista and a wheat flour version I made with mangoes a few months ago. TIP: make extra glaze and use it as dipping sauce. Amazing. If you want to speed things along, chop the mango into small pieces and stir into the mixture instead of layering the mango slices inside the loaf. It’s great for snacks or breakfast too.
Spelt, Mango and Coconut Banana Bread [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cups of spelt flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp. dessicated coconut
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 3 large overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 ripe mango, chopped or sliced
- 1 Tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 1 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. icing sugar
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and dessicated coconut and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas until they are pretty smooth. Stir in the brown sugar and oil.
- Combine the wet and the dry mixtures and stir until well incorporated.
- Use 1/3 of the mixture and smooth into the bottom of a well-oiled loaf tin to form a thin, even layer. Place a layer of mango slices on top and layer with another 1/3 of the batter. Repeat with the final 1/3, topping the loaf with a layer of sliced mango.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes and allow to cool.
- Mix together the coconut drizzle ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the cooled loaf.