Don't be weirded out by the spelt, basil, and chocolate combo: they really make a delightful cookie! The taste is more earthy than it is green. It really does remind me of the smell after a thunderstorm. The earth is all upturned and the plants are splayed across the sidewalk and everything smells fresh and deep. That is what these cookies are.
Spelt Basil Chocolate Chip Cookies [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make flax egg and set aside.
- Mix coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, flax egg, and vanilla in a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth (no clumps). Mix in baking soda and salt. Add in the flour 1/4 cup at a time. At this point, you may prefer to start mixing with your hands for optimal mixability. Add in the basil and chocolate chips.
- Make approximately 2 tablespoon balls of dough and place them a few inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 9 minutes. They will seem gooey when they come out of the oven but do not overbake them! Let sit for about 10 minutes before devouring (ugh so hard to wait).