If you're apprehensive about trying okra, consider giving this dish a go! Okra, cherry tomatoes, and pecans are stir-fried together with lots of bright spices to create a delicious, vibrant, and healthy dish. No sliminess in the texture here, just amazing flavor!
Southern Okra, Pecan, and Cherry Tomato Stir-Fry [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- Dash red pepper flakes
- Dash ground black pepper
- About 15 green or purple okra pods, sliced in half lengthwise
- Vegetable broth for sautéing
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans
- Generous handful Thai basil, chopped (some leaves left whole for garnish, if desired)
- Steamed brown rice
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it's good and hot, add a light spritz of cooking spray to the entire surface of the pan. Lower the heat a little and add the okra – putting the cut sides down. You want to sear those first and fast.
- Let the slices brown (but take care not to burn). This should take 4-5 minutes. Carefully flip the slices and lightly brown the other side. This will happen faster on this side so watch closely.
- Remove the okra from the pan and set aside. Carefully wipe out any remaining oil and put the pan back on the heat. Add a generous splash of vegetable broth or water and add the onions. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a few minutes - you want them heated through and softened, but not bursting. Now, turn off the heat and stir in the tamara-vinegar mixture and the Thai basil. Stir to coat the veggies.
- Divide up some brown rice between two deep bowls. Divide the okra mixture between the bowls and top with the toasted pecans and additional Thai basil, if desired. Serve immediately.