A cheesy, caliente potato taco is delicious. A cheesy, caliente potato taco that’s fried is outta this world. You should serve creamy avocado sauce on the side (better just make a really big batch).
South-of-the-Border Potato Tacos [Vegan]
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2" pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 recipe Avocado Sauce:
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper (or 1 serrano, depending on heat desired) seeded
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 sprigs cilantro
- 1/8 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2-1 cup water
- In a medium pot, boil potatoes in 1 teaspoon salt until tender, then drain.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook onion and jalapeño in 2 teaspoons oil until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes, then add cumin.
- Turn heat down to low and add potatoes, remaining salt, cilantro, nutritional yeast, and cheese. Mash potatoes slightly, stirring to combine all ingredients. Cook 2–3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a dry 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, place tortillas in the pan one at a time, heating on each side a few seconds, just long enough to soften. Wrap tortillas in a kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Fill each tortilla with 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of potato mixture and fold.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and cook each tortilla on each side until crispy.
- Garnish with extra cilantro and avocado sauce (below).
- For the sauce: In a blender, blend all ingredients, adding water about a 1/4 cup at a time to make a somewhat-thin sauce.Keeps in the refrigerator 2 days.
- Potato Recipes