This soba noodle bowl is the perfect meal for a sunny day because it's light, hearty, and healthy. The soba noodles are cooked to perfection and then tossed with mushrooms, carrots, green onions, and sesames seeds and then it's all coated in a tangy fishless fish sauce that you can make in just a few minutes.
Soba Noodle Bowl With Homemade ‘Fish’ Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the "Fish" Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Noodle Bowl:
- 1 portion soba noodles (check the package to make sure that they are 100 percent buckwheat noodles)
- 1 1/4 ounces Enoki mushrooms, ends trimmed
- 1/2 medium-size carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup watercress or kale (if using kale, tear it into bite size pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Place all ingredients for the sauce in a jar, close the lid, and shake it vigorously until all the ingredients are combined well.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil on medium heat.
- Add soba noodles and cook them until they're 90 percent done.
- When the soba noodles are almost cooked, add the mushrooms and carrots to the water and stir them gently.
- Cook this for another 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the noodles, mushrooms, and carrots in a colander and run them through running tepid tap water for 20-30 seconds. Let the water drain completely.
- In a large mixing bowl add the watercress and the drained noodles.
- Pour over the sauce and toss everything gently to mix well – you want all the noodles and vegetables to be covered in the sauce completely.
- Place noodles in a serving bowl and sprinkle them with spring onions and sesame seeds before serving.