Disrupt the notion that tofu is tasteless and bland by making these smoky tofu tacos! Cubes of tofu are impeccably spiced and fried to perfection. And what food on this planet isn't improved by a topping that includes avocado? Trick question – nothing.
Smoky Tofu Tacos With Avocado Slaw [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped (cut off the end and use the whole green onion)
- 1 box of firm tofu, cut into bite-sized squares
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Half of an avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 3 cups cabbage, sliced
- Corn tortillas
- Sliced tomatoes
- Heat a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat for about a minute.
- Add the onion, garlic and green onion and cook for two minutes. If the mixture starts to stick, add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Add the tofu, paprika, and soy sauce, and cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat. Flip with a spatula regularly so that the tofu doesn’t burn. When you use the spatula, give it enough pressure to get off any bits that have stuck to the pan. If you’re using a nonstick pan, use a plastic spatula. It’s okay if some of the tofu becomes crumbly.
- Add the parsley a couple of minutes before the end of cooking.
- If you want to cook the tofu longer, you can. The longer you cook it the firmer it will become.
- Cut the avocado in squares, scoop it into a small bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add the rice vinegar and coconut aminos and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the cabbage in a mixing bowl, add the avocado dressing and massage with your clean hands until the dressing is thoroughly incorporated into the cabbage.
- Heat the tortillas, add some slaw and tofu to each tortilla, and top with tomatoes.
- Voila – delicious tacos in a pinch.