You'll really start loving anything (vegan) that contains liquid smoke, and these sausages are no exception.
Smoky Sausages [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cups (180 g) vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup (30 g) chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup (30 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon (7 g) onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (if your broth isn’t very salty)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tamari
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) veganWorcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) neutral-flavored oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon (16 g) tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) liquid smoke, to taste
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or pressed
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, tapioca flour, onion powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- In a glass measuring cup, whisk to combine the broth, tamari, Worcestershire sauce, oils, tomato paste, liquid smoke, maple syrup, and garlic. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the dry ingredients. Mix with a fork to begin with, and then use your hand directly to knead well, squeezing to be sure all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add an extra 1 tablespoon (15 ml) broth or (9 g) gluten if needed to make a soft, workable dough.
- Divide the mixture evenly (10 ounces, or 280 g each) between two 12-inch (30 cm) pieces of foil. Form into 2 rolls of about 6 inches (15 cm) long. Roll the foil tightly around the mixture, twisting the ends to enclose the sausages.
- Prepare a steamer. Steam the rolls for 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove foil (careful of the steam!) and let cool on a wire rack.
- Let cool completely before slicing thinly using a sharp, serrated knife and cutting in a seesaw motion. Wrap tightly in plastic and store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.