Barbecue season is upon us, and you can really never have enough tasty burger recipes. While pre-packaged patties are definitely an easy option, sometimes it's nice to make your own from scratch. This smoky black bean-based burger is perfect served with a good BBQ sauce and loads of greens.
Smoky and Spicy Black Bean Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
4 large burgers
Ingredients You Need for Smoky and Spicy Black Bean Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chili
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- A pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons cooked quinoa
- 1-1 1/2 heaped tablespoon gluten-free flour
- Gluten-free hamburger buns
How to Prepare Smoky and Spicy Black Bean Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, and chili and cook in a frying pan for 4 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent. Then add your spices and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Put the onion and spice mixture in a blender with the black beans and a good pinch of salt and blend until you have a rough paste. Only blend for short intervals and keep checking. It should be smooth and wet but not runny.
- Tip the blended mixture into a bowl and add the cooked quinoa and 1 tablespoon flour and mix well.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour or so, or over night. When ready to cook, heat a pan or grill, scoop out 1/4 of the mixture, shape it into a ball, and then place it into the pan. Press down with a spatula so it becomes a patty shape. Cook on one side for 2-3 minutes then flip it over.
- You can use the flat edge of the spatula to reshape the edges if it goes a bit oblong. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes on the other side and serve hot. It will be done when the edges are crispy and dark and the middle is hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.