Who doesn't love tacos? Tortillas are pretty much the perfect vehicle for all things delicious. These tangy and savory tacos include meaty eggplant slices and mushrooms, onion, avocado, and an amazingly flavorful BBQ sauce! Whip these up in 30 minutes with your favorite fixings for a healthy and filling dinner.
Skillet Eggplant and BBQ Mushroom Tacos [Vegan]
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps, stems removed and sliced
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (below)
- Corn tortillas
- 1 large avocado
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup canned chipotle pepper
- 1 12-ounce can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Garnish:
- Serrano pepper
- Pumpkin seeds
- Pomegranate seeds
To Make the BBQ Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients together in a food processor or blender.
- Coat an oven-proof skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add in onion and cook 5-6 minutes, until tender. Add eggplant and cover. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add in Portobello caps and cook for another 5-6 minutes, covered. Add BBQ sauce and stir.
- Turn on broiler to normal or high, if your oven doesn’t have a normal setting. Remove skillet from heat and place on highest rack, under the broiler for 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven. Assemble tacos.